Based in Hilversum, Netherlands
February 7, 2014
Press / Business contact:
Tribal And Error
Burgemeester van Tuyllkade 78 Bis 3553AL Utrecht
+31 6 29 24 69 90
Grotman is an indie studio based in the Utrecht school of Arts. We innovate by going back to designs primordial soup, freeing us from the limitations of genres. We initially banded together for a second year student project, which was the very start of Tribal & Error
HistoryWho are we?
In our second year at the HKU we came together as students from different disciplines to make Tribal and Error. We chose this concept out of many ideas because we felt it was something new. But when moving in unexplored territory there is a high probability of failure, we had no idea whether our idea was any good, yet we felt our time in university was perhaps the last chance we would get to try something risky without it blowing up in our face if it failed. Ironically as development progressed and our confidence grew, we decided to forgo that safety and make Tribal and Error our first published title. Our ambition grew from project to product, from product to the birth of our studio Grotman.
The game trailer YouTube
There are far more images available for Grotman, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner IndieCade 2015: Interaction Award" - Culver City, 22 October, 2015
- "Winner MetalEater: Best of E3 2015 - Best Puzzle Game" - Los Angeles, 18 June, 2015
- "Winner Best of E3 2015 - Best Puzzle Game" - Los Angeles, 18 June, 2015
- "Official IndieCade Selection 2015" - Los Angeles, 2 June, 2015
- "Nomination for Innovation Award BIG Festival Brazil." - Sao Paolo, Brazil, 5 Juli, 2015
- "Nomination for Best Student Art Direction Dutch Game Awards 2014 " - Utrecht, The Netherlands, 25 November, 2014
- "Tribal & Error - A fascinating game about language."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "Just check out games like Tribal and Error….and you can see that there are still new design ideas to explore."
- Warren Spector, gamesindustry.biz
- "Tribal & Error was this year's discovery for me."
- Liana Kerzner, MetalEater
- "Tribal & Error offers an adorably bizarre art style."
- Will Morin, IndieLove
- "Tribal & Error - Oegaboega voor beginners."
- Wilbert Meetsma, Gamer.nl
- "Tribal & Error - …en dat is misschien wel het opmerkelijkste aan die game; het is voor iedereen, waar je ook vandaan komt."
- Emiel Kampen, Boris van de Ven, GameKings
In our blog we talk about our work on the game project. http://grotmangames.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Game Design, Marketing/PR/Communication
Development, Game Design
Composer, Audio Design
Animation, Game Design
Brenda van Vugt
Art, Animation, PR Material